Town of Parrish was a small mining town until the establishment of the first railroad system in 1890. The second railroad was established in 1901, and the third railroad was soon to follow. In 1917 Railway Fuel Company opened the first coal mine beneath the town. Soon after the opening of the mines, the town quickly blossomed. At one time, the town was called Hewitt. The name was changed when the telegraph system was put in place. The telegraph operator’s name was Parrish, and the town was named after him.
We take pride in our ability to protect and serve the citizens in our community. From our mayor to our police department, we believe in creating an environment that makes everyone feel like family.
For more of our town's history or for information about our elected officials, school districts, parks, roads, etc., please email or call us today.